Below are the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions. Please don't hesitate to contact our office if you have further queries.

How do I apply for the rights to perform a play?
The first step is to fill out our play application form. Once the completed application form has been sent to Dominie (and providing the play is not restricted) you will be sent a royalty application form outlining the per performance royalty fee. This amount must be paid and a licence must be issued before your production commences - this also includes your rehearsals.
Back to Top

In most cases rights are cleared very quickly, however sometimes clearance will need to be obtained from our principal agents overseas and this can be a lengthy process. Please allow plenty of time for the processing of your request.

How do I apply for the rights to perform a musical?
The first step is to fill out our musical application form. As soon as the rights are cleared two copies of your contract will be sent to you with an invoice outlining costs. Please read the documentation carefully, ensure all details are correct and then sign and return both copies to Dominie along with the required deposit. A copy signed on behalf of Dominie Pty Ltd will then be returned to you upon receipt of your deposit.
Back to Top

Will I be granted performing rights automatically after submitting this information?
Performance rights are not always immediately available. Some titles may be restricted while others may require special clearance from the publisher. For this reason, it is always recommended that you apply for the rights as soon as possible to allow for any delays.
Back to Top

May I read a script first to help decide whether or not I'd like to produce a particular show?
A lot of our popular titles are available for perusal, which means that for a small fee you can hire the scripts for one month. Up to five plays or three musicals can be hired at the one time, which gives you the opportunity to read a variety of scripts to help you decide which you'd like to purchase or produce. If you decide to produce a show, you must then purchase a script for every member in the cast. Click here to view our perusal policy.
Back to Top

What is copyright?
Copyright in relation to a play or musical is the means of protection afforded to authors and their entitlement to rely on the copyright laws to prevent people from using their work without authority. No play or musical protected by copyright may be performed without payment being accepted and written permission granted. Remember, the writing of plays is a means of livelihood for many authors and Dominie Pty Ltd will protect their rights.
Back to Top

May I photocopy scripts?
Generally, no. Some extremely limited photocopying of parts of a script may be permissible under an educational statutory licence under the Australian Copyright Act (1968). For further information you should contact:
Copyright Agency Limited (CAL)
Level 15, 233 Castlereagh St, Sydney, NSW, 2000
Phone: (02) 9394 7600 Fax: (02) 9394 7601
Email: info@copyright.com.au
Back to Top

How many copies of the script do I need to purchase?
You must purchase enough scripts for each person in your cast who has a speaking role, plus you will need a script for the director. It is recommended that enough scripts are purchased for crew members if required e.g. lighting, sound, stage manager etc.
Back to Top

Is my production considered professional or amateur?
Any company which does not pay its cast and crew a living wage is considered non-professional, and therefore falls under the category of amateur for licensing purposes.
Back to Top

What constitutes a performance?
Any mode of visual or aural representation of a play or musical in front of an audience whether a fee is charged or not.
Back to Top

I'm donating all profits to charity - do I still have to pay a royalty?
Yes, you do. It is your decision whether or not to produce a charitable performance, however this does not mean the author is no longer entitled to their royalties.
Back to Top

I'm not charging for tickets - do I still have to pay a royalty?
Yes, you do. It is your decision whether or not you choose to charge for tickets, however this does not mean the author is no longer entitled to their royalties.
Back to Top

What does it mean if a play or musical is restricted?
Some titles are restricted for performance, which means you may not produce that show. While some restrictions only apply in certain states or time frames (i.e. to avoid clashing with a scheduled professional production) we are not always told why titles are restricted and some may never be available for performance in Australia. For this reason it is extremely important that you obtain a licence before committing to rehearsals or advertising your production.
Back to Top

May I make a video recording of my production?
Your licence to perform a live staged production does not include the right to make a video recording. Any recording made without prior written permission will be considered a breach of copyright. In fact, Dominie Pty Ltd does not control the rights to video recording. In some cases we can ask permission on your behalf, but it is a complex task securing the rights to videotape a show.
Back to Top

I'm putting on a musical. When will I receive my orchestration?
Provided all your fees and royalties have been paid your orchestration material will be sent out to you three months before your opening night. You can request to hire the orchestration material for a longer period of time, however this will incur a fee. Please contact the drama office for further details.
Back to Top