- Critical thinking is a core set of cognitive skills that include: focusing, information-gathering, remembering, organising, analysing, generating, integrating and evaluating.
- ‘What is an orange?’ is an example of information-gathering at this level.
The subjects and topics in Year 1 include:
- Social Studies (Family Portraits, Scrambled Shoes, Barbecue Mishap and Making Connections)
- English (Topsy-Turvy Letters, Password, Minerva Makes an Adjustment, This Is Just So and Ms Monte’s Message)
- Science (Fossil Finds, Zoo Animals, How Did You Do That and Don’t Throw that Away!)
- Creative Arts (Mask Make-Up, Theatre Tickets, Musician’s Choice and Designing a Sculpture)
- Maths (Maths-Minded Mermaids, What’s My Number and Pencil-Top Purchases).
Ideal for Year 1