This play may not be performed unless approval is granted and a per performance royalty fee is paid.
Please contact Dominie Pty Ltd for an application form – www.dominie.com.au/dramaroyalty
- This is the delightful, classic tale of the greatest optimist of all time... Pollyanna. But it’s much more than that.
- It’s the story how a little girl’s faith in her father’s promise — that you can find something good about anything that happens — guides her steadfastly through circumstances that most adults would find formidable. Pollyanna becomes an orphan, and she is placed into the care of her purely pessimistic and domineering aunt.
- Talk about difficult circumstances-the clash of hope and doubt meeting under the same roof!
- The town itself isn’t much better. Led by a ’fire and brimstone’ pastor whose favorite Bible verse is ’Woe unto you,’ folks are always complaining, feeling sorry for themselves and viewing their existence as dark and dreary.
- Yet, Pollyanna faithfully plays her ’glad game,’ innocently teaching it to others wherever she goes.
- The hired help, such as maid Nancy, cook Mrs. Durgin and gardener Old Tom, seem to catch on first.
- Other townspeople like hypochondriac Mrs. Snow and her sarcastic daughter Millie slowly learn the joy of the game too.
- Charmingly narrated by Jimmy Bean, another orphan, we also meet the hermit-like John Pendleton and Dr. Chilton, who had closed his heart to taking risks... that is, until he met Pollyanna.
- We’re optimistic that this fresh adaptation will put a smile on faces of all ages in your audience.