- This resource is designed to prepare children for letter formation.
Throughout the early years, children are encouraged to participate in a range of fine-motor activities that develop:
- manipulative skills
- a dominant hand
- the ability to use both hands together
- New Wave Pre-writing patterns aids the smooth transition to writing alphabet letters.
- Written by occupational therapists, this activity book presents a systematic and fun approach for teaching the foundation skills.
Each new pattern is introduced in three steps:
- 1. Learn the new pattern as a big body movement. At this initial stage it is essential that the oral prompting clues are also established.
- 2. Use art activities to practise the new movement, in big and small ways, to form a memory for making pre-writing patterns.
- 3. Consolidate the new movement and pattern through pre-writing pattern activity sheets.