- Beginning with the eruption of Vesuvius and the devastation it caused, this book covers the history of excavations, the physical landscape, and nature of sources and evidence of the cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum.
- It also comprehensively explores the social life, economy, politics, religion, architecture and entertainment of the time, as well as the influence of Greece and Hellenistic culture.
- The extensive focus on primary sources encourages students to assess, understand, analyse and interpret historical data as you develop the skills required to think like an historian.
- Source-based questions further develop these skills and reflect the structure and style of the HSC exam.
- Other in-chapter tasks and questions provide opportunities to immediately apply knowledge or provoke discussion and further research.
- Current information on the methods, interpretations and ethical issues of modern archaeology, including a final chapter on what is happening now in Pompeii, ensures that you are engaging with the most current material available.
- Comprehensive end-of-chapter summaries help you to consolidate knowledge and to revise for your exam.
- An integrated glossary allows you to confirm definitions of both technical and Roman terms for immediate comprehension.
Please note: Product may be an old edition or slightly damaged. Only while stock lasts.