- This is the story of a murder.
- Molly, warm-hearted, passionate, is married to Teddy, a man many years older than herself, a pitiable but unlovable character, embittered, deaf, a drinker, with a lurking sadism, who delights in such petty torments as humiliating Molly by spanking her across his knees for smoking.
- With them is Molly's severe but devoted companion, Eve.
- Into this ill-assorted but outwardly reasonably calm household comes Oliver, a youth engaged as odd-job gardener and chauffeur.
- Despite his ignorance and general unattractiveness Molly succumbs to starting a squalid affair.
- After witnessing Molly's humiliation, Oliver, himself taunted and dismissed by Teddy, stabs his tormentor to death in a wild fit of rage, with the garden shears.
- Period: 1930's.
Please note: Product may be an old edition or slightly damaged.