- Jakarta 1965. Waiting for explosions, the city smells of frangipani, kretek cigarettes, and fear.
- It is the year of living dangerously.
- The charismatic god-king Sukarno has bought Indonesia to the edge of chaos - to an abortive revolution that will leave half a million dead.
- For the western correspondents here, their gathering apocalypse is their story and their drug, while the sufferings of the Indonesian people are scarcely real, a shadow play.
- Working at the eye of the storm are television correspondent Guy Hamilton and his eccentric dwarf cameraman Billy Kwan.
- In Kwan's secret fantasy life both Sukarno and Hamilton are heroes.
- But his heroes betray him, and Billy is driven to desperate action.
- as the Indonesian shadow play erupts into terrible reality, a complex personal tragedy of love, obsession and betrayal comes to its climax.
Please note: Product may be an old edition or slightly damaged. Only while stock lasts.