- Skunks and their relatives make up a family of mammals known as the mustelids.
- Besides skunks, this family includes weasels, ferrets, minks, martens, badgers, wolverines and otters.
- People and other animals go out of their way to avoid skunks and most of the skunk's relatives.
- That is because these animals have a secret weapon.
- They produce a sticky, smelly liquid called musk.
- A single squirt of musk is all it takes to keep most animals from bothering a mustelid.
- There are 67 different kinds of mustelids.
- Members of this diverse family occupy most habitats and can be found in all parts of the world except Antarctica and Australia.
- Use this resource as a starting point for a scientific exploration about these amazing animals or make it a shared reading experience as part of your literacy program.
Please note: Product may be an old edition or slightly damaged. Only while stock lasts.